Periods definitely annoy all us women and there’s no way out to get rid of it. We have to go through the tough times with PMS and cramps, while discomfort of pads and tampons add more to it. Well, what if I tell you about a period cup? Recently I got to know about Everteen menstrual cup that can actually make you almost forget about the periods. Like it sounds, a menstrual cup is a very flexible cup that can be easily inserted into the vaginas for the collection of menstrual flow. Tampons and pads have been widely used menstrual products, while menstrual cups have their existence from the 1930s. And trust me if we all knew menstrual cups benefits; we may forget going back to pads and tampons. Eager to know why?
Read more on Everteen- Everything You Need to Know about Using Menstrual Cups
What Is A Menstrual Cup?
A menstrual cup can also be called a – reusable feminine hygiene product. It is a funnel-shaped cup that is small and flexible made up of silicone/rubber. It has to be inserted into the vagina to collect the period flow. These cups have a tendency to hold more blood when compared to other methods. These are also an eco-friendly alternative when compared to tampons. Also one can wear a cup even up to 12hours, depending upon the menstrual cycle flow.
There are many reusable menstrual cup brands available in India. The one that I feel is the best menstrual cup is from “Everteen”
How To Use A Menstrual Cup?
The next questing that arises is How to use a menstrual cup? It’s easy! Just find your right menstrual cup size and buy menstrual cup online. Consider your Cervix Length, Age, Cup Firmness, Flexibility, Menstrual Flow, Vaginal Birth, etc. Usually, Smaller menstrual cups are best recommended for <30 years women without vaginal delivery. While Larger size is recommended for >30 years women given vaginal birth or have heavy period flow.
It may feel a bit uncomfortable while using a menstrual cup for the first time. Try greasing/lubrication the rim for easy insertion.
Just follow these easy steps to use menstrual cup:
- Thoroughly cleanse your hands
- Apply water / any water-based lubricant to the cup rim.
- Fold the menstrual cup tightly into the half with one hand. The rim must face up.
- Now insert the silicone menstrual cup into the vagina, just like a tampon. Make sure it sits a few inches below the cervix.
- Rotate the cup when it’s in the vagina. This will make an airtight seal to stop leaks.
Correctly insertion will totally make you forget about the menstrual cup. Now you are free to do any activity like moving, jumping, sitting, standing, playing and much more without the fear of cup falling out.
Wear your menstrual cup for about 6 – 12 hours, totally depending upon your menstrual flow. In fact, one can also use a cup overnight for better protection during menstruation. Empty the cup before it gets full to avoid any leakage.
To take out a menstrual cup, just follow these steps:
- Thoroughly cleanse your hands
- Place the thumb and index into the vagina. Now gently pull out the cup stem to reach the base.
- Now you have to Pinch this base to gently release its seal. Remove the cup pulling it down.
- Empty this cup into the toilet.
- Wash, cleanse and wipes the Reusable menstrual cups before using it again. Always empty the cups twice a day for better protection.
- Reusable menstrual cups are quite durable & even last for more than 10 years with good care.
Advantages Of Menstrual Cups
- Quite affordable
- Safer when compared to tampons
- Doesn’t feel during sex
- Holds more blood flow than any tampon or pads
- Can also be worn when using IUD
- They are reusable
- No bacterial infection
- No leakage
- Can be used for 8-10 years, if maintained well
- No menstrual odor.
Disadvantages Of Menstrual Cups
- Insertion and removal can be messy initially
- Finding the right size
- Not for latex allergic people
Best Menstrual Cup In India
Everteen under Wet & Dry Personal Care (W&D) manufactures feminine hygiene product. Everteen products are available on with all major online retailers like Amazon, Big Basket, Flipkart, Snapdeal, HealthKart, Paytm, etc and local medical stores.
Buy Everteen Menstrual Cup for Rs.455/-
Final Verdict For Menstrual Cups
Try once to find the best alternative to sanitary pads & tampons during periods. These are safe, soft, easy to use, create a seal inside your vagina and collects blood flow. Hence it can also be used by active women who Perform Yoga, Swim, Dance, Athlete, etc.